Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sherlock Holmes Appreciation Day

A bit of Sherlock Holmes trivia for you today.

It's well known that Holmes used cocaine, but did you know that at the time it wasn't considered dangerous and didn't have the stigma it has today? It was a recent discovery in Doyle's day and was thought to have medicinal purposes. So, maybe not as shocking to the people of his day as we might think.

Holmes smoked shag tobacco, which isn't that unusual. Where he kept it is a little strange, though. He secured it in the toe of a Persian slipper on his fireplace mantel. What's up with that? That's where he should have kept his cocaine.

Not all Holmes stories were narrated by Dr. John H. Watson; two were narrated by Holmes himself, two more were third person. Do you know the names of the stories Holmes narrated himself? 

The first Holmes story was published in 1887. Doyle went on to write four novels and 56 short stories that featured Holmes. These stories covered a period from 1880 to 1914 and are still read more than 100 years later. I wish us all the same success as writers.

5 comments:

Luanne G. Smith said...

Didn't even know there was a Sherlock Holmes appreciation day. Cool.

And, wow, they do pass out the good drugs after surgery, don't they? Ha! You'd think SOMEONE would have a lobster delivery service by now. :P

Doralynn Kennedy said...

Hi L.G., thanks for reading that. I didn't really think anyone would.

Yeah, those were some good drugs. I remember telling my family that if I'd known about the drugs, I wouldn't have put it off until it was an emergency. Oh, and I made up the Sherlock Holmes Appreciation Day thing.

Doralynn Kennedy said...

Forgot to chime in on the lobster delivery... someone definitely needs to come up with that. I'd be eating lobster every week if it were as easy to get as pizza.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

I haven't written anything inspired by a dream. Once I wake up enough, I realize the idea isn't great. Far from it, usually. : )

Interesting about Sherlock Holmes.

Doralynn Kennedy said...

Hi Cynthia, it's always nice to hear from you. I've written a couple things inspired by dreams... not sure if the ideas were any good, though. But I dream whole movies sometimes... really great ones, but then when I try to piece them together, they start to fall apart. I just can't remember all of them.